[SydPhil] UOW Philosophy Seminar: Sam Baron, "Back to the Unchanging Past"

Patrick McGivern patrickm at uow.edu.au
Fri Aug 1 09:25:44 AEST 2014

The Spring 2014 UOW Philosophy Seminar Series begins next week. All are welcome!

Speaker: Dr. Sam Baron (University of Western Australia, University of Sydney)

Title: Back to the Unchanging Past

Abstract: The standard view of time travel has it that time travelers cannot change the past. It has been argued by some that the standard view is false, and that this can be shown using a two-dimensional model of time. I defend the standard view against this attack. I show, first, that the addition of a second temporal dimension does not provide a model of changing the past and, second, that neither does the addition of n temporal dimensions for any n > 1.

When: August 6, 2014
Time: 3:30 - 5:00pm
Where: Research Hub 19.2072B (building 19)

There will be a student seminar from 2:00 - 2:45 pm, also in the Research Hub.

Please contact Michael Kirchhoff (kirchhof at uow.edu.au) for more information.