[Limdep Nlogit List] Generalized Mixed Logit Model

Incalcaterra,James R jrincalc at mdanderson.org
Sun Nov 14 09:31:28 EST 2010

Dear Professor Greene,
Fist let me start by thanking you for a wonderful product.  I am a relatively new user of Nlogit 4.0 and have been spending some time with the properties and commands associated with the various discrete choice models capable of being estimated with this software.
I do have one question related to Nlogit 4.0 as it pertains to my dissertation research.  I’ve recently read a few articles in the literature I am sure you are familiar with, (Fiebig et al., 2009) and (Greene & Hensher, 2010), presenting the merits of using a generalized mixed logit model to account for individual level scale heterogeneity in addition to taste heterogeneity.  On your web-site I also saw, under the course in Discrete Choice Modeling, a PowerPoint presentation in the class notes section entitled Part 14 Mixed Logit Models where you present the generalized mixed logit model.   It appears using a generalized mixed logit model may be beneficial for me to use in my research as it relates to a discrete choice experiment involving a relatively complex/unfamiliar series of medical decision making choice tasks.
Could you tell me if Nlogit 4.0 is capable of estimating a generalized mixed logit model like the one you estimated in (Greene & Hensher, 2010)?  I noticed the models in (Greene & Hensher, 2010) were estimate using a pre-release version of Nlogit 5.0.
Thanks,
Jim