[Limdep Nlogit List] Hausman Test Interpretation: Limdep Output

Nelson Daou ndaou at fontanagroup.com
Wed Feb 18 10:25:54 EST 2009

The Hausman statistic tests against H0: that the Random Effects coefficients in a panel data model are not different from the Fixed Effects coefficients.  Alternatively, I have seen H0: that Fixed Effects coefficients are appropriate to use.  In terms of Fixed vs. Random model selection, one would use FEM unless the value of H merited the rejection of H0.  My confusion is that the LIMDEP output says that High (Low) values of H favor FEM (REM).  If my understanding of the distribution of the Hausman statistic is correct, the opposite would be true.  In other words, H would grow along with the differences between FEM and REM coefficients.  Is my understanding correct, or is the LIMDEP output unclear?

Thank you,
Nelson