[Limdep Nlogit List] nested logit

Jess Becker beckerjs at mcmaster.ca
Thu Dec 21 07:24:14 EST 2006

Hello subscribers,

I am attempting to run a nested logit in NLOGIT 3.0.  My data contain 4 alternatives (drive, carpool, transit, other) with a further nest beneath the drive option to incorporate parking options (6 lots, each with their own cost and distance to a central point).  I'm a limdep beginner so often the errors that I get rarely help me to determine what the real problem is.  Here is the code and the errors I receive:

nlogit

; lhs = choice

; choices = drive,cpool,transit,other,z1,z2,z3,z45,z67,z3nx

; tree = [drive(z1,z2,z3,z45,z67,z3nx)],

[(cpool,transit,other)]

; model:

u(z1) = bz1 + d1*P_DIST /

u(z2) = bz2 + d2*P_DIST /

u(z3) = bz3 + d3*P_DIST /

u(z45) = bz4 + d4*P_DIST /

u(z67) = d6*P_DIST /

u(z3nx) = bzx + dx*P_DIST /

u(cpool) = bc + r2*dist_mac + pr*pgr_reg /

u(transit) = bt + r3*dist_mac + b3*dist_bus + tp*trans_p /

u(other) = r4*dist_mac + m1*m_lt30 /

u(drive) = bd + r1*dist_mac + dr*drv_reg $

Error: 71: Variable list contains a name not in the expected table.

Error: 539: Variable list: The unidentifiable string is DRIVE

Error: 1085: Unidentified name found in DRIVE)

Error: 1085: Unidentified name found in DRIVE)

Any hints would be greatly appreciated, many thanks in advance,

-Jessica

Jessica Becker
MA Candidate
School of Geography and Earth Sciences