[GPlates-discuss] reconstructing lat-lon points

Christian Heine chhei at paleoearthlabs.org
Thu Mar 2 09:23:25 AEDT 2017

Hi Joseph,

probably the most simple way: Make sure you have lon lat columns only (no metadata/attibutes!) then save the file as *.gmt and load it into GPlates (suffixing .gmt will make GPlates think it is GMT's OGR format - http://gmt.soest.hawaii.edu/doc/latest/GMT_Docs.html#the-gmt-vector-data-format-for-ogr-compatibility).

Once you have loaded the file, also load the static polygon data from the sample data set, then got to Features -> Assign PlateID and follow the wizard (you require a polygon file as cookie-cutter and a feature data set to get plate ids based on the polygons assigned).

If you have attributes associated with your points, then QGIS (http://qgis.org - Menu: Layer -> Add layer -> Add delimited text layer) might be the easiest way forward to turn the data into a shp or gmt-ogr formatted file.

Cheers,
Christian