[ASA] IAU ECA Online Discourse Series

Themiya Nanayakkara wnanayakkara at swin.edu.au
Wed May 26 09:49:34 AEST 2021

Hi Everyone,

Please see the final series of the IAU JM ECR Online Discourse Series announced below. You can register here: https://forms.gle/o7bH4xxsMWrzpVx36 <https://forms.gle/o7bH4xxsMWrzpVx36>

Note also as previously advertised we have our very own Natasha Hurley-Walker at 9AM AEST [7AM AWST] on tomorrow (Thursday May 27th) on Zoom:
https://unibe-ch.zoom.us/j/92477769109?pwd=c1pBSjBiNUVrdUE3ckRMQ1A2cGtQQT09 <https://unibe-ch.zoom.us/j/92477769109?pwd=c1pBSjBiNUVrdUE3ckRMQ1A2cGtQQT09> and also on Youtube https://youtu.be/2UyBRPxsIww <https://youtu.be/2UyBRPxsIww>

Title: Exploring the Universe Without Costing the Earth

Abstract: Science is a global endeavour and brings huge benefits to humankind. Modern astronomy is exploring the far reaches of the Universe, with tremendous advances in the last ten years: the detection of gravitational waves, the first direct image of a black hole, and the discovery of powerful radio bursts rippling across cosmic distances. Great science requires resource-intensive infrastructure, large collaborations, and now more than ever, powerful supercomputers. The environmental impact of our scientific endeavours must not outweigh their benefits. I will describe how Australian astronomy is beginning to meet this challenge, and becoming a leader in sustainable science. I’ll also show the unique perspective that astronomy itself brings to this challenge, and how that can guide our future actions.
Thanks,

Themiya.