[ASA] Nobel Prize in Physics 2020

asa idea asa.ideastronomy at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 17:17:07 AEDT 2020

As you're likely aware by now, the Nobel Prize in Physics this year has
been awarded to Roger Penrose, Andrea Ghez, and Reinhard Genzel (
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/mICWClx1NjiWxVo4hGa49y?domain=nobelprize.org. We would like to
congratulate the recipients for the recognition of their work on black
holes, and particularly recognise Andrea Ghez as the 4th woman to win the
Nobel Prize in Physics over the past ~100 years. The other three women were
Marie Curie (1903), Maria Goeppert-Mayer (1963), and Donna Strickland
(2018). In Prof. Ghez's phone interview (
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/yGVPCmO5gluVzg54sOw4zM?domain=nobelprize.org, she
discusses what it means to be the fourth female physics laureate:  "it’s
always been very important to encourage young women into the sciences, so
to me it means an opportunity and a responsibility to encouraging the next
generation of scientists who are passionate about this kind of work into
the field... I think that’s so important because I think seeing people who
look like you, or people who are different, succeeding shows you that
there’s an opportunity there, that you can do it, that this is a field that
is open to you. So I think that visibility is so important." In addition to
Prof. Ghez, the 2020 Nobel Prize in Chemistry was awarded to two women:
Emmanuelle Charpentier and Jennifer A. Doudna, making them the 6th and 7th
women to win the prize in Chemistry.

*The IDEA Chapter Steering Committee*
asa-idea.org