[ASA] PhD scholarships at the University of Tasmania

Andrew Cole andrew.cole at utas.edu.au
Thu Sep 24 18:31:04 AEST 2020

Dear colleagues,

An ARC-funded PhD scholarship in astronomy is open at the University of Tasmania, for the project “The Occurrence of Cold Planets in the Galaxy”, supervised by Andrew Cole (UTAS) and Jean-Philippe Beaulieu (UTAS - Institut d’Astrophysique de Paris).

The project aims to explore a unique niche in exoplanet detection: searches for cold planets down to Earth mass, including ice giants, rogue free-floating planets, and those with “dark” hosts (e.g., degenerate objects). Discovering these planets and learning whether their frequency varies with location in the Galaxy can only be done with gravitational microlensing experiments and follow-up high angular resolution observations. The project involves modelling and observational components, with local, international, and space telescopes.

For further information on this and other projects, see https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/eIsTCYW8NocW6YGYH0fW0N?domain=utas.edu.au .

The University of Tasmania has an active and collegial astrophysics research group within a small physics department. Our campus in the Hobart suburb of Sandy Bay is nestled between the Derwent River and Mt. Wellington, offering good access to our optical and radio telescopes and a wide range of recreational activities. We have strong links with other disciplines including Mathematics and Spatial Sciences. We offer Doctoral and Masters degrees in subjects including exoplanets, pulsars, stellar populations, star formation, active galactic nuclei, cosmology, geodesy, and geophysics.

Scholarships are competitively awarded. To send an expression of interest, see https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/oJFBCZY1NqiqovOvtjF5WG?domain=utas.edu.au or send an email to andrew.cole at utas.edu.au<mailto:andrew.cole at utas.edu.au> for further information. The deadline for email expressions of interest is 16 October 2020. The closing deadline for full applications is 30 October 2020.

Regards,
Andrew

—= Dr A.A. Cole -=- Associate Professor =—
                         Astrophysics
              School of Natural Sciences
                 University of Tasmania
                  Private Bag 37 Hobart
                Tasmania 7001 Australia
[cid:7aa77299-08e0-4a5a-8cfc-98048863ec7d]