[ASA] Astronomers for Planet Earth

Natasha Hurley-Walker nhurleywalker at cantab.net
Thu Sep 24 15:26:37 AEST 2020

Dear ASA members,

Astronomers for Earth (A4E) is a collective of professional astronomers
from around the world that are interested in using our platform as
astronomers to make a positive difference to our environment (see
website link [1]). We have put together a video for tomorrow's Global
Day of Climate Action (Vimeo [2]/YouTube [3]), which you are welcome to
share (widely!) if you are interested

We also wanted to let you know that we are running a webinar series.
This was established by Travis Rector at the University of Alaska,
Anchorage, who you might recall gave a Zoom talk via the ASA about a
year ago on educating the public about climate change through astronomy.

The first webinar is available to stream on YouTube [4] right now. This
is a meta-talk given by astrobiologist David Grinspoon aimed at
professional astronomers on "Communicating about climate change through
comparative planetology". You're welcome to share this link with
colleagues, but it's not intended for the general public (the video is
intentionally unlisted to avoid trolling).

There is also a live Q&A set up between Travis and David, and any
questions dropped in the YouTube comments will be addressed then.
Unfortunately, time zones mean that Q&A session will be in the middle of
the night Australian time (tomorrow night / Saturday morning), but it
might be recorded.

The second webinar will become available on October 9th.

All the best,
Natasha
on behalf of the ICRAR sustainability committees

---
Dr Natasha Hurley-Walker
ARC Future Fellow
GaLactic and Extragalactic MWA Survey Scientist
ICRAR / Curtin University
Telephone: (+61) 8 9266 9178
Mobile: (+61) 4 2619 2677
Twitter: @ColourfulCosmos
Skype: nhurleywalker
Email: nhw at icrar.org
Web: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/dyxwCNLJyQUqVBlMfm45s-?domain=nhurleywalker.com
Office hours (AWST): M-W: 9-5; Th-F: 9-2

Links:
------
[1] https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QrFsCOMKzVTL5KR2fvVOp2?domain=astronomersforplanet.earth
[2] https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/vCe2CP7LAXf1vxG5t1wyqB?domain=vimeo.com