[ASA] Postdoc in Radio Transients at University of Sydney

Tara Murphy tara.murphy at sydney.edu.au
Tue Mar 19 15:41:40 AEDT 2019

Dear Colleagues,

we invite applications for a Postdoctoral Research Associate to carry out radio follow-up of gravitational wave events from LIGO. The specific focus will be on leading our observational program for electromagnetic counterparts of gravitational wave events with the Australia Telescope Compact Array and the Australian SKA Pathfinder. The researcher will be involved in all aspects of this program, from planning, observing, data reduction and scientific analysis and publication of results. In addition, there will be the opportunity to be involved in our wider radio transients program in an area of research that interests them (areas include, but are not limited to radio supernova, GRBs, ultracool dwarf stars, AGN variability or ISM propagation effects.

Specific activities include:

  *   Observing with the Australia Telescope Compact Array;
  *   Reducing and analysing data from ATCA and ASKAP observations;
  *   Writing software to reduce and analyse data efficiently;
  *   Interpreting radio observations in the context of theoretical models for neutron star mergers;
  *   Publishing scientific results from this research;
  *   Contributing to the supervision of undergraduate research students

The position is 2 years fixed term, full time, Academic Level A6 with base salary AU$92,682 p.a. plus a generous employer's contribution to superannuation.  A possible extension is available for up to 1 year, subject to performance and funding. For more information please email me (tara.murphy at sydney.edu.au<mailto:tara.murphy at sydney.edu.au>) or view the candidate information pack available on the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment<http://sydney.edu.au/recruitment> and search by the reference number 496/0319F to apply.

Closing date: Tuesday April 16th 2019.
Please forward to any interested candidates.

thanks,
Tara

--
PROFESSOR TARA MURPHY | ARC Future Fellow
Sydney Institute for Astronomy | School of Physics | Faculty of Science

THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room 358, Physics Building A28
The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 3041