[SydPhil] University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series, Luara Ferracioli, (University of Sydney)

Ryan Cox ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au
Mon May 20 14:02:10 AEST 2024

Hi everyone,

This week's speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is Luara Ferracioli, (University of Sydney)

The title of the talk is "Justice in Gestation and Moral Integrity: A Dilemma". Here is an abstract for the talk:

Political philosophers have recently turned to the topic of justice in gestation, emphasising that the uterine environment contributes to future health outcomes and talents enjoyed in adulthood. In this presentation, I argue that bringing justice to bear on gestation is more difficult than it may seem at first glance. The fact that there are no unmediated channels between foetuses and the state makes foetuses among the least accessible subjects of justice. It also means that for the state to protect the interests of foetuses, it must command full compliance on the part of pregnant women, which comes at a very high cost to this group. I show that even the most plausible principle of justice in gestation leads to the state demanding the unthinkable from some of its citizens. I conclude the discussion by defending a solution that allows the state to realise justice for biological parents and their foetuses.

The seminar will take place at 3:30pm on Wednesday May 22 in the Philosophy Seminar Room (N494).

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy