[SydPhil] University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series: Shang Long

Ryan Cox ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au
Sat Apr 29 08:27:11 AEST 2023

Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is Shang Long (NUS/Monash).

The title of Shang’s talk is “The Individual Goods of Attention and How to Distribute Them”. Here’s the abstract for Shang’s talk:

We live in an age where attention is a central commodity – where social media companies like TikTok and Facebook take this attention as a product to be sold to interested buyers, and where attention is inextricably tied up with knowledge work (such as that of programmers, architects, and academics). While the economics and psychology of attention are well-explored, philosophers have only recently started thinking systematically about the ethics and political philosophy of attention. In this talk, I hope to contribute to this project: first, I argue that there are two distinct goods associated with attention – what I call attentional resources and attentional receipts – which have quite different normative profiles. Secondly, I argue from the nature of these goods to the appropriate rules for distributing them – a libertarian rule and a sufficientarian-plus-desert rule respectively – and trace out some normative implications for real-world cases.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 3rd of May at 3:30 p.m. in the Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle and will be simulcast via Zoom: https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848.

The talk will be followed by drinks and informal discussion at a nearby venue. All welcome!

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy