[SydPhil] University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series: Clas Weber (UWA)

Ryan Cox ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au
Mon Apr 24 08:17:38 AEST 2023

Hi everyone,

This week’s speaker in the University of Sydney Philosophy Seminar Series is Clas Weber (University of Western Australia).

The title of Clas’s talk is “Determinacy of the Self and Imagination from the Inside”. Here’s the abstract for Clas’s talk:

The persistence of ordinary objects allows for indeterminacy. There is a strong intuition that our own persistence in contrast has to be determinate. The determinacy intuition conflicts with a commonsense view of human persons. In this talk, I offer an account of the source of the determinacy intuition which grounds it in the special character of first-person imagination. In short, we are inclined to believe that our persistence must be determinate because we cannot imagine indeterminate survival from the first-person perspective. I then explore the implications of this account for the metaphysics of the self. I make the case that indeterminate survival may be a genuine possibility for us in spite of our inability to imagine it from the inside. Hence, the account proposed here allows us to debunk the intuition and maintain a commonsense view of ourselves.

The talk will take place on Wednesday the 26th of April at 3:30 p.m. over Zoom (Clas will be presenting from Western Australia) in the Philosophy Seminar Room (N494) in the Quadrangle. Participations are welcome to either join in person or over Zoom (https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/88699564848).

There will be no after-seminar events this week.

Enquiries about the seminar series can be directed to ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au<mailto:ryan.cox at sydney.edu.au>

Ryan Cox
Associate Lecturer in Philosophy
Discipline of Philosophy