[SydPhil] MQ Philosophy and CAVE Seminar - Professor Rachel Ankeny (University of Adelaide)

Centre for Agency, Values, and Ethics arts.cave at mq.edu.au
Fri Sep 23 11:39:17 AEST 2022

Dear All,

Our next philosophy seminar is Tuesday September 27th

This is a special joint Philosophy and CAVE seminar presented by Professor Rachel Ankeny (University of Adelaide).

It will be a 90 minute session 1:00pm - 2:30pm.

Attend in-person at 25C Wally's Walk, Room C326.

Or on zoom: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/rvC-CD1vlpTBxlyWQsWFlYY?domain=macquarie.zoom.us<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0oIECE8wmrtWq5YzKUwYh1I?domain=aus01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com>
    Password: seminar

Professor Rachel Ankeny (University of Adelaide)

Title : Defending Medical Cases as Abduction

Abstract: Despite having a somewhat dubious reputation as a form of anecdotal evidence, case reports remain exceedingly popular forms of communication and publication in medicine. They are ill-understood even within biomedical research communities, and often are described as not counting as real evidence or even as simply being equivalent to anecdotes. This paper begins by introducing the case report and its typical uses in the context of research in contemporary medicine, and exploring their status as a form of evidence particularly in our current era which is dominated by so-called ‘evidence-based medicine’ (EBM). I then flip the usual process on its head and instead of outlining how cases fall short of these ideals, instead I investigate what cases are good for how they are used, and what it means to use them ‘well,’ including what epistemic resources need to be in place, and what they are best viewed as being good for. I contend that instead of viewing medical cases as failed examples of weaker forms of reasoning, particularly induction, the form of logical inference that underlies medical cases is more closely related to abductive reasoning of the type espoused by the American philosopher C.S. Peirce in his later views. These arguments provide important considerations not just for those interested in medical cases or philosophy of medicine, but more generally for those seeking to provide more complex accounts of various fields of science in practice.

Bio: Rachel A. Ankeny is Professor of History and Philosophy at the University of Adelaide, where her research fields include history/philosophy of biomedical and biological sciences, bioethics, science policy, and food studies. She also is an Honorary Visiting Professor in the College of Social Science and International Studies (Philosophy) at the University of Exeter (UK). The paper to be presented is part of a book manuscript in progress entitled In Defense of Medical Cases.

Find details of upcoming seminars on our department website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/RjO_CGv0oyCJ856PoFpCxrx?domain=mq.edu.au.

For any queries relating to Macquarie Philosophy work-in-progress seminars please contact katrina.hutchison at mq.edu.au<mailto:katrina.hutchison at mq.edu.au> or pierrick.bourrat at mq.edu.au<mailto:pierrick.bourrat at mq.edu.au>.

Thanks,
Tom

Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics (CAVE)
Department of Philosophy
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
CAVE website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/oTx-CJyBrGf8nEV2PFLan7p?domain=mq.edu.au<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/1AdFCK1DvKTq156Y0HpiKHG?domain=cave.mq.edu.au>