[SydPhil] Agora Speaker Series - Prof Helen Beebee

Sally Cole cole at uow.edu.au
Wed Aug 24 13:33:36 AEST 2022

The School of Liberal Arts, University of Wollongong invites you to attend the
Agora Speaker Series
Thursday 1 September, 3.30 to 5.00pm
This is an in-person event at the University of Wollongong - Register here<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/fevJCoV1kpfX4EGoAi1XVoj?domain=uow.au1.qualtrics.com>

Professor Helen Beebee (University of Leeds)

Knowledge and Understanding in Analytic Philosophy
Grant that pervasive and persistent peer disagreement undermines justification. If so, then - individually and collectively - we have very little philosophical knowledge, and the prospects for any radical turnaround in our epistemic fortunes don't look good. And yet we have made a fair bit of progress over the last two and a half thousand years. So what might our goal be, if we have indeed been making good progress and therefore should not think that our goal is knowledge? I claim that it's understanding - but of a radically non-factive kind.

The Agora Speaker Series is proudly hosted by
The School of Liberal Arts
Faculty of Arts, Social Sciences and Humanities
University of Wollongong
NSW 2522 Australia
SOLA Enquiries sola-enquiries at uow.edu.au<mailto:sola-enquiries at uow.edu.au>
T +61 2 4221 4160