[SydPhil] HPS Research Seminar on Monday 21st March 2022

HPS Admin hps.admin at sydney.edu.au
Wed Mar 16 16:21:26 AEDT 2022

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/zGvSCnx1jni7RWRBph9gzaM?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
RESEARCH SEMINAR
SEMESTER ONE 2022
MONDAY 21ST MARCH 2021
FROM 5:30PM

Location:
 Carslaw Building (F07) Level 3, Seminar Room 354

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/K9u6CoV1kpfrywyWpszoRt6?domain=mcusercontent.com]
COLIN KLEIN
TRANSDUCTION, CALIBRATION, AND THE COGNITIVE PENETRATION OF PAIN

Abstract: Pains are subject to obvious, well-documented, and striking top-down influences. This is in stark contrast to visual perception, where the debate over cognitive penetrability tends to revolve around fairly subtle experimental effects. Several authors have recently taken up the question of whether top-down effects on pain count as cognitive penetrability, and what that might show us about traditional debates. I review some of the known mechanisms for top-down modulation of pain, and suggest that it reveals an issue with a relatively neglected part of the cognitive penetrability literature. Much of the debate inherits Pylyshyn’s stark contrast between transducers and cognition proper. His distinction grew out of his running fight with the Gibsonians, and is far too strong to be defensible. I suggest that we might therefore view top-down influences on pain as a species of transducer calibration. This resolves few questions, supports nobody’s position, and makes the whole debate even messier than it was before---though hopefully in a fruitful way.

WHEN:  MONDAY 21ST MARCH 2022
START:   5.30PM
Location:
Carslaw Building F07, Level 3, Room 354
All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free
Copyright © *2016* *HPS,  All rights reserved.

You can update your preferences<*|UPDATE_PROFILE|*> or unsubscribe from this list<*|UNSUB|*>