[SydPhil] 'Inner West Council Philosophy Talk', Jean-Philippe Deranty (Macquarie): “Post-work society as an oxymoron”, Thursday, March 3, 6:00pm-7:10pm, Leichhardt Library.

Simon Lumsden s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au
Tue Feb 22 12:08:18 AEDT 2022

After a long break because of covid restrictions I am pleased to announce the details of the next “Inner West Council Philosophy Talk"

Title: “Post-work Society as an Oxymoron”

Speaker:  Prof. Jean-Philippe Deranty  (Philosophy, Macquarie)

Abstract:

In recent discussions of “post-work society,” the features of work that are at issue are the relations of employment and the work ethic. But is work itself, as a specific type of activity, something humans could move “beyond”? Can a human society exist without work? I consider a variety of arguments from anthropology, history and social theory to answer these questions in the negative. I consider the political implications of this perspective. If work is an intrinsic part of how humans live together, then I argue the problem is not how to move beyond it, but how to organize it.

Thursday, March 3
6:00pm - 7:10pm
Free event - All welcome - Light refreshments provided (from 5:40pm)
Bookings online or call 9367 9266

Full details as well as registration for the event are available from this link:
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/q95jCXLW2mUXvVoBrT6fjOE?domain=eventbrite.com.au

BIO
Jean-Philippe Deranty is Professor of Philosophy at Macquarie.  He has published extensively on Critical Theory, Social Philosophy, German Idealism and Work.

Upcoming talks:

 Timothy O'Leary (UNSW). “What has COVID Taught Us About Things and Happiness?”, Thursday May 26, 6.00 – 7.10 pm: Leichhardt Library.

Simon Lumsden
(Inner West Council philosophy talks program coordinator)

Simon Lumsden | Philosophy | Environment & Society
Faculty of Arts, Design & Architecture
University of New South Wales | Sydney | NSW 2052 | Australia
work +  02 9065 9747
s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au<mailto:s.lumsden at unsw.edu.au>
https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/2q87CYW8NocLRE2kBFGiaXm?domain=hal.arts.unsw.edu.au