[SydPhil] Macquarie Philosophy Seminar - A/Prof David Kaplan - Tuesday 26th October 1 pm

Pierrick Bourrat pierrick.bourrat at mq.edu.au
Thu Oct 21 12:29:27 AEDT 2021

Dear All,

This is a reminder of our seminar next Tuesday. Note that this will be the last seminar of the semester.

When: Tuesday 26th October 1 pm via Zoom

Please click this URL to start or join: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/48C9C4QOPEiBZWMYLSOLPbJ?domain=macquarie.zoom.us
Password: seminar

Speaker: A/Prof David Kaplan (Macquarie University)

Title: Noise as signal in neuroscience

Abstract: In a well-known series of papers, Bogen and Woodward (1988; Woodward 1989, 2000) describe the problem of detecting a phenomenon (i.e., a stable, repeatable pattern or effect) as one of detecting a signal embedded in noise. More recently, Bogen (2010) has suggested that noise can itself be treated as a signal or phenomenon to be explained. However, this produces a tension since noise is standardly defined as random or unpredictable disturbances that are not part of a signal. In this talk, I explore the tension, and Bogen’s proposed answer to it, in the context of neuroscience where cellular, synaptic, sensory, and motor noise are routinely treated as objects of prediction and explanation. I argue that in order to make sense of noise as a genuine phenomenon, intrinsic variability must be distinguished from noise. This requires accounting for the causal sources of variability as well as appreciating its effects on brain structure and function.

Find details of upcoming seminars on our department website: https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/d7vlC5QPXJiZyK5gqiODCe8?domain=mq.edu.au.
Philosophy seminar series - Macquarie University<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/d7vlC5QPXJiZyK5gqiODCe8?domain=mq.edu.au>
Date Speaker Topic Venue and time; 02/03/2021: Dr Ignacio Ojea Quintana: The Coordination Dilemma for Epidemiological Modelers: 25b Wally's Walk, Level 5, Room C326, 1-2 pm
www.mq.edu.au

Best wishes,
Pierrick

Pierrick Bourrat | DECRA Fellow & Senior Lecturer

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/4227C6XQ4LfrR9jVQimqQPl?domain=docs.google.com]

Philosophy Department| Macquarie University | NSW | 2109
W www.pierrickbourrat.com<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/HKzlC71R2NTAr64E3sN9hUr?domain=pierrickbourrat.com>

Research Affiliate, The University of Sydney
Theory and Method in Bioscience | W griffithslab.org<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZlryC81V0PT6mMDOnIo8zKm?domain=griffithslab.org>