[SydPhil] HPS Research Seminar 24 May - The Evolution of Human Aging.  Mael Lemoine - University Bordeaux

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Mon May 17 11:58:18 AEST 2021

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/5ns9CxngwOf1BMA6Yt8vsRz?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
Held in conjunction with the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
SEMESTER ONE
RESEARCH SEMINAR SERIES
ZOOM SEMINAR
Meeting ID 873 0964 6911
24TH MAY 2021
5pm

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/VvgoCyojxQTrJXMvxfMR4FV?domain=mcusercontent.com]
Professor Maël Lemoine
University of Bordeaux   Department of Life and Health Sciences<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/f3djCzvkyVCMng2l5Hgtwqa?domain=researchgate.net>
The Evolution of Human Aging.
Geroscience is a new agenda in medical research that explores the possibility of intervention on generic mechanisms of aging to postpone the onset of age-related diseases. One danger for this agenda is to get lost in the complexity of the interactions between mechanisms of aging. Only a relevant theoretical framework can help.
Three important approaches to the biology of aging have been:
1) the evolutionary theory of aging (ETA), which established general mechanisms to explain the absence of elimination of aging, like antagonistic pleiotropy and the disposable soma theory;
2) biodemography, which studies patterns of senescence and non-senescence in different species;
3 the molecular biology of aging (MBA), which investigates the so-called "hallmarks of aging" one by one or their interactions two by two.

I propose a new, hybrid approach based on the investigation of the order of apparition, during evolution, of the different mechanisms of aging that are conserved in humans, as a basis to a multilayer evolutionary view of aging (MEVA). I sketch the preliminary results and draw the consequences on received views on aging and on geroscience in particular.

WHERE:  ZOOM  <http://Meeting%20URL:%20%09https:/uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/87309646911%20%20%20Meeting%20ID:%20%09873%200964%206911>
Meeting URL:
https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/j/87309646911
Meeting ID:
873 0964 6911

WHEN:   MONDAY 24TH MAY 2021
START:   5.00 PM

All Welcome | No Booking Required | Free

Copyright © *2016* *HPS,  All rights reserved.

This email was sent to debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au<mailto:debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au>
why did I get this?<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Xl3uCD1vlpT5MvV24ikRPij?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>    unsubscribe from this list<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/I5qsCBNqjlC7A64QYHWjW-D?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>    update subscription preferences<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/6XhVCANpgjCNV6WykCYtveB?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science · University of Sydney · Sydney, NSW 2006 · Australia

[Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/SLzbCE8wmrt3n9DrEHBuuFn?domain=mailchimp.com>