[SydPhil] HPS Research Seminar - Transitions in the Evolution of Cognition

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Tue May 4 08:57:27 AEST 2021

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/OJ-yCwV1vMfGV6ONKiVD6A7?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

SCHOOL OF HISTORY AND PHILOSOPHY OF SCIENCE
in conjunction with the Sydney Centre for the Foundations of Science
RESEARCH SEMINAR SERIES
SEMESTER ONE 2021

TRANSITIONS IN THE EVOLUTION OF COGNITION
presented by
Andrew B. Barron
Department of Biological Sciences, Macquarie University

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/Flj4CxngwOf1R8GXkCvLpJq?domain=mcusercontent.com]
Recent findings in comparative cognition seem to have confused rather than clarified our understanding of the evolution of cognition.  In a world of algebraic bees and smart slime moulds is there any pattern to the evolution of cognitive capacity?  Maynard Smith and Szathmary famously provided a framework for understanding the grand scheme of biological evolution by positing a few major transitions  - such as the origins of chromosomes and multicellular life – which enabled radically different forms of life, new evolutionary options and increased evolvability.  Here we propose that the evolution of cognition can also be comprehended as a series of transitions: each transition being a qualitative change in the structure of information flow within systems.  These transitions transformed the scope of cognitive capacities.  Here we present each transition in terms of system organization.  We discuss the consequences of this perspective for our understanding of the evolution of cognition and the diversity of animal intelligences.

WHERE:  LEVEL 5 FUNCTION ROOM
F23 ADMINISTRATION BUILDING<mailto:hps.admin at sydney.edu.au>
WHEN:  MONDAY 10TH MAY 2021
START:   FROM 5.00PM<mailto:hps.admin at sydney.edu.au>
ZOOM: <mailto:hps.admin at sydney.edu.au> https://uni-sydney.zoom.us/skype/84669477906<mailto:hps.admin@sydney.edu.au>

 <mailto:hps.admin at sydney.edu.au>

It is a requirement of our COVID safe plan that if attending in person please RSVP to hps.admin at sydney.edu.au<mailto:hps.admin at sydney.edu.au> <mailto:hps.admin at sydney.edu.au>

This email was sent to debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au<mailto:debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au>
why did I get this?<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/xVSLCyojxQTr2Dj4ZIQRQcE?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>    unsubscribe from this list<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/w-qoCzvkyVCMwDPr6tKMTbt?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>    update subscription preferences<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/QeQQCANpgjCNl0mR4FQSjVY?domain=sydney.us9.list-manage.com>
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science · University of Sydney · Sydney, NSW 2006 · Australia

[Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/j_ScCBNqjlC7RqZnjf1Yp0J?domain=mailchimp.com>