[SydPhil] Philosophy at westernsydney Seminar

John Hadley J.Hadley at westernsydney.edu.au
Tue Aug 20 09:52:38 AEST 2019

Gideon Baker (Griffith) - The Two Worlds in Nietzsche

Heidegger's charge that Nietzsche is the culmination of the metaphysics he sought to overcome turns on the place of the true world in Nietzsche's thought. In his lectures on Nietzsche from the 1930s, Heidegger argues that Nietzsche makes the mistake of thinking that the true world can be answered with a truer one named becoming, which merely reproduces the two worlds of metaphysics, only in reverse order. Now becoming is the truth of the world and being is mere appearance. According to Heidegger, Nietzsche remained unaware of this trap until 1888, at which point it may have been what drove him mad. I seek to complicate this picture. I show that Nietzsche was long aware that, with the death of the true world, nothing further can be said of world considered as an object of knowledge or, what is the same, as a totality. It is why Zarathustra emphasises the creation of new worlds, for example. Indeed, I contend that Heidegger's own answer to the true world-namely that world is historical-is anticipated by Nietzsche because the world that ends up being affirmed in Nietzsche's yes-saying is not a being (kosmos) but Being (a history).

Date/Time: Wednesday August 28th 2019, 3.30pm-5pm
Western Sydney University, Bankstown Campus, Room 3.G.54 [How to get to Bankstown Campus]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/BZkSCXLKZoiR9MnDs6hrBW?domain=westernsydney.edu.au>