[SydPhil] UNSW Philosophy Seminar Series | Michaelis Michael: How Descartes Dances around the Circle with Aristotle | Tuesday, 2 October 2018

Heikki Ikaheimo h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au
Thu Sep 27 16:51:24 AEST 2018

[https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/9Sn7CMwvLQTlN04DfwFlf-?domain=gallery.mailchimp.com]

How Descartes Dances around the Circle with Aristotle

UNSW Philosophy seminar

Abstract: In her magisterial book on Descartes, Margaret Wilson calls the circularity objection raised by Descartes' commentators the ‘classic objection’ to his attempt to engage with scepticism. I’m going to try to show why Descartes is not guilty of circularity by showing how his engagement with scepticism is very much more nuanced and careful than we tend to think. And I'll be trying to show how his response to the sceptical challenge owes a great debt to, and is shaped by, Aristotle’s conceptualization of understanding.

Bio: Michaelis Michael is senior lecturer in philosophy at UNSW Sydney. He studied zoology and philosophy at Monash University in Melbourne before doing a PhD in philosophy at Princeton University. He works across a broad range of topics in philosophy, from human rights to formal logic. He has recently published on the role of non-cognitive factors in religious conversion, on arguments on the metaphysics of mind, and against the idea that we need to adopt deviant logics to deal with inconsistent theories in science. A recent focus in his work has been the way Big Data has changed the way we do science and the possible costs of those changes.

Michaelis Michael has recently published a book on the conceptual and empirical aspects of the theory of natural selection. https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/ZkgSCNLwM9iR4rmJI4LlqM?domain=crcpress.com

Michael’s UNSW page: https://hal.arts.unsw.edu.au/about-us/people/michaelis-michael/

[cid:image006.jpg at 01D4566F.2489B470]

Speaker: Michaelis Michael (UNSW Sydney)

Event Details:

Tuesday, 2 October 2018
12:30-2:00pm
Room 209, Level 2
Morven Brown building
Kensington Campus, UNSW

Map reference: C20<file:///ad.unsw.edu.au/OneUNSW/EDFO/FM/Space%20Management/Information%20Services/Drawings/Campus%20Maps/Kensington/DWG/KENC%20-%20Campus%20Map%20Kensington%20Campus%20(1)>

RSVP: not necessary

Contact: Heikki Ikaheimo
e: h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au<mailto:h.ikaheimo at unsw.edu.au>

UNSW Arts & Social Sciences
UNSW Sydney,
NSW 2052
Australia
arts.unsw.edu.au<https://www.arts.unsw.edu.au/>

CRICOS Provider Code 00098G, ABN 57 195 873 179

[Facebook]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/0aEvCOMxNytGW9mlSkeHpu?domain=facebook.com>

[Twitter]<https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/GeV6CP7yOZtlprE9fjOZdV?domain=twitter.com>

[Linked In]<https://www.linkedin.com/groups/7071691>