[SydPhil] Workshop with Joel Krueger at Macquarie (Thurs 13 Sept): Music, Emotion, Performance – embodied and distributed perspectives

John Sutton john.sutton at mq.edu.au
Tue Sep 4 17:52:56 AEST 2018

(Please forward as appropriate!)

We invite you to attend and participate in an informal interdisciplinary day of work-in-progress talks on music, emotion, and performance on Thursday 13 September.

The workshop is inspired by the work of Dr Joel Krueger (Philosophy, Exeter) on music and emotion from embodied, phenomenological, social, and distributed perspectives. Joel is visiting the Dept of Cognitive Science at Macquarie Uni this month.

Registration is free, and all are welcome to attend the whole day or any sessions. But for catering, space, and planning purposes *please* let us know by 5pm next Monday (10/9) if you are coming, by email to Dr Kath Bicknell, at heykb at kathbicknell.com<mailto:heykb at kathbicknell.com>.

Venue: 149 Briefing Room, 7-9 Wally’s Walk [formerly E6B], Macquarie University [Kath can send you location maps if required, showing venue, station, and pay parking areas, once you register].

Schedule

9.45               Welcome – John Sutton (Cognitive Science, Macquarie)

10.00-11.00  Musical scaffolding and the space of empathy – Joel Krueger (Philosophy, Exeter)

Abstract: Proponents of distributed cognition observe that we routinely “offload” our thinking onto body and world: we use gestures and calculators to augment mathematical reasoning, and smartphones and search engines as memory aids. In this talk, I argue that music is a beyond-the-head resource that affords offloading. Via this offloading, music scaffolds access to new forms of thought, experience, and behavior. I here focus on music’s capacity to scaffold self-regulative process constitutive of emotional consciousness, as well as shared behavioral mechanisms (mimicry, behavioral synchronization, affectively motivated movements and interaction, etc.) responsible for empathic connection. In developing this idea, I consider the “material” and “worldmaking” character of music and apply these considerations to several case studies, including music as a weapon for torture.

11-11.30        Coffee break

11.30-11.50   Emotions as affordances – Elena Walsh (History & Philosophy of Science, Sydney)

11.50-12.10   Sound and bodies and environment and togetherness – Ian Maxwell (Theatre & Performance Studies, Sydney)

12.10-12.30   Music and emotion in Argentine tango – Greg Downey (Anthropology, Macquarie)

12.30-1.00     Performing remorse: criminal justice and collective affect – Kate Rossmanith (Media, Music, Communication & Cultural Studies, Macquarie)

1.00-2.00        Lunch (provided for all registered participants and attendees)

2.00-2.20        Moving minds together: culture, cognition and the Māori haka – McArthur Mingon (Cognitive Science, Macquarie)

2.20-2.40        Choreographic intentions: Emio Greco and the National Ballet of Marseille – Sarah Pini (Cognitive Science, Macquarie)

2.40-3.10        Creative editing and distributed cognition – Karen Pearlman (Media, Music, Communication & Cultural Studies, Macquarie)

3.10-3.30        Aleatoric harmony workshop – Robin Dixon (Theatre & Performance Studies, Sydney)

3.30-3.50        Coffee break

3.50-4.10        Music, emotion, and visual imagery – Robina Day (Psychology, Macquarie)

4.10-4.40        On the enjoyment of violence and aggression in music – Kirk Olsen (Psychology, Macquarie)

4.40-5.10        Phenomenology and habitus in music listening – Andy Mcguiness

5.10-5.40        Three anxious moments and why I like them so much – Kath Bicknell (Cognitive Science, Macquarie)

5.40-5.50         Concluding discussion

Joel Krueger’s visit is supported by the Department of Cognitive Science’s visitor program, and an Australian Research Council’s Discovery Project grant awarded to John Sutton on the cognitive ecologies of collaborative embodied skills, both which we acknowledge gratefully. You can find information on Joel’s work and copies of many papers at https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/t8KCCq7BKYt030pOtZGVli?domain=joelkrueger.com.

Professor John Sutton

Department of Cognitive Science

Macquarie University

Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia