[SydPhil] blackheath philosophy forum

Sandra Jobson Darroch sjd at cybersydney.com.au
Thu May 3 10:14:44 AEST 2018

    *Blackheath Philosophy Forum**
    **blackheathphilosophy.org*

    On *Saturday May 12 *we have a talk on "SUICIDE OF THE WEST" when
    speaker Ted Sadler will ask why so many people - politicians and
    intellectuals and commentators, are "knocking" the West's culture
    and democracy. Ted will examine the roots of Western self-hatred in
    modern culture and the likely outcome of current tendencies, drawing
    on the work of thinkers such as Rousseau, Nietzsche and Heidegger.
    He is author of several books on German philosophy and translator of
    Martin Heidegger.

    On *Saturday May 19*, Peter Godfrey-Smith,  Distinguished Professor
    of Philosophy at the City University of New York Graduate Center and
    Professor of History and Philosophy of Science at the University of
    Sydney. will give a talk on “TOLERANCE AND THE INTOLERANT” when he
    will ask whether there is a limit to being tolerant.  Does
    over-tolerance towards disruptive elements in our society cause a
    collapse of western society?

    The Blackheath Philosophy Forum meets at the Hall at the Blackheath
    Neighbourhood Centre, cnr Gardiner Crescent & the Great Western
    Highway, 4pm-6pm, followed by informal discussion at a nearby wine
    bar.Admission $10 includes a big afternoon tea before question time.
    Hall is heated.All welcome!