[SydPhil] Ben Blumsen: Similarity Spaces

Kristie Miller kristie.miller at sydney.edu.au
Sat Oct 1 12:49:55 AEST 2016

Dear all,

This coming Thursday's current projects will be Ben Blumsen presenting the following:

Title: Similarity Spaces
Abstract: According to Peter Gardenfors and Graham Oddie, the natural properties are the convex subsets of a metric space in which the distances are degrees of dissimilarity. In this paper, I argue that this analysis of natural properties is incompatible both with the definition of degree of dissimilarity as total number of natural properties not in common as well as with the definition of degree of dissimilarity as proportion of natural properties not in common. I suggest it follows that we should think of the definition of natural properties as convex subsets as a kind of resemblance nominalism.

As usual, papers are in the Muniment Room in the Main Quad, at 3.00 on Thursday.