[SydPhil] ACU philosophy seminar ROBERT STERN

Stephen Matthews Stephen.Matthews at acu.edu.au
Mon Aug 22 13:30:14 AEST 2016

ACU Philosophy Seminar Series

Title: "Life as a Gift, Natural Law, and Human Agency in Løgstrup"

Presenter: Dr Robert Stern (Sheffield)

Abstract:
This paper considers the thought of the Danish philosopher and theologian K. E. Løgstrup (1905-1981), and his contribution to the natural law tradition in ethics. It is argued that his position is best understood as a distinctive kind of natural law theory, and that he also offers an argument for this: namely, that the normative order must be given and not brought about by us, as we are too wicked to act as a source for this order. The paper then investigates whether the account that Løgstrup offers of this wickedness is compatible with our usual conceptions of human agency, where it is argued that Luther provides a helpful background to many of these issues.

WHEN: Friday August 26, 2.30 PM - 4.00 PM
WHERE: Bob will be speaking from North Sydney, Tenison Woods House, 8 Napier Street North Sydney, Floor 16, room 24 (but we will meet ground floor foyer around 2.15). If you wish to attend in North Sydney and you're unsure of where to go, please contact the convenor, Steve. (Stephen.matthews at acu.edu.au)

Talk will be videoconferenced to:

Ballarat: CB1.104
Brisbane: TC.19
Canberra: B6