[SydPhil] UOW Philosophy Seminar: Dr. Heidi L. Maibom "Imagining Feelings"

michael kirchhoff michael.david.kirchhoff at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 07:15:56 AEDT 2015

UOW Philosophy Seminar Series. All are welcome!

*Speaker*: Associate Professor Heidi L. Maibom (University of Cincinnati,
USA)

*Title*: Imagining Feelings

*Abstract*: Empathizing with others’ feelings is the most ideal form of
perspective taking. When we do it, we have an experience *like *that of the
person we are empathizing with, we focus on the details of the situation
and the experience in a way we would not otherwise be (normally), we are
aware of the features of the situation that are relevant to her wellbeing,
we *share *her experience, and we gain an understanding of her situation
and experience that would be hard to glean by other means. No other form of
perspective taking—visual, auditory, etc.—is as effective as emotional
empathy in re-creating the others’ experience. The best way of seeing
things from someone else’s perspective, then, is to empathize with him or
her if possible.

*When:* Friday 27 November

*Time:* 3:30 – 5:00pm

*Where:* 21.114 (Early Start Building 21, room 114)

*Contact:* Michael Kirchhoff (kirchhof at uow.edu.au)

Best,

*Dr. Michael D. Kirchhoff *
Lecturer in Philosophy