[SydPhil] Title and Abstract for Alex King's dept seminar talk

Brian Hedden brian.hedden at sydney.edu.au
Sat Sep 12 14:16:30 AEST 2015

Here are the title and abstract for Alex King's (SUNY-Buffalo/ANU) department seminar talk at Sydney Uni this Wed, Sept 16 from 1-2:30pm in the Muniment Room.  Hope to see you there!

Title:
The Timestamping Problem for 'Ought Implies Can'

Abstract:
One relatively overlooked aspect of 'ought implies can' is how we should index the 'ought', the 'can', and the action to times. I will present a few different indexed versions of ‘ought implies can’, and argue that the most plausible version is not the following: if one ought to do something, then one can do it right then.  The most plausible version is rather one that we might call 'ought implies could have'.  This says instead, roughly, that if one ought to do something, then one could have done it.  There are various things this might mean, though.  After offering precise versions of the obvious candidates, I will argue that none of them will accommodate everything we want from an 'ought implies can' principle.