[SydPhil] [Philosophy at UWS research seminar]: Craig Lundy, 'The Revolution Will Not Be Organised: Anarchy, Resistance, and Prudential Experimentation'

Philosophy@UWS Philosophy at uws.edu.au
Tue Aug 18 09:00:49 AEST 2015

The Philosophy Research Initiative invites you to a Research Seminar with:
Craig Lundy (UOW)

'The Revolution Will Not Be Organised: Anarchy, Resistance, and Prudential Experimentation'

Wednesday 19 August, 2015, 3.30 pm - 5.00 pm
University of Western Sydney, Room 3.G.27, Bankstown Campus<http://www.uws.edu.au/campuses_structure/cas/campuses/bankstown>

Abstract

“As we know, the revolutionary problem today is to find some unity in our various struggles without falling back on the despotic and bureaucratic organization of the party or State apparatus” (Deleuze, Desert Islands, p. 259). This remark, offered by Gilles Deleuze some four decades ago, arguably remains as true today as it ever was. But what are we to do with this problem? How are we to identify a reality contrary to the status quo and actualise it without falling prey to the ‘revolutionary problem’ that plagues so many attempts? Drawing principally from the work of Deleuze, which has been used at times to support theories of anarchism/post-anarchism and organised resistance, this paper will suggest an alternative response to the ‘revolutionary problem’ that might be referred to as prudential experimentation.

Bio

Craig Lundy is a Postdoctoral Research Fellow in the School of Humanities and Social Inquiry at the University of Wollongong. He is the author of History and Becoming: Deleuze’s Philosophy of Creativity (2012), Deleuze’s Bergsonism: A Critical Introduction and Guide (forthcoming) and co-editor with Daniela Voss of At the Edges of Thought: Deleuze and Post-Kantian Philosophy (2015), all published by Edinburgh University Press.

[Alumni Facebook]<http://www.facebook.com/philosophyuws>Connect with us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/philosophyuws<https://email.uws.edu.au/owa/UrlBlockedError.aspx>

For further information about the Philosophy Research Initiative at UWS, please visit: www.uws.edu.au/philosophy<http://www.uws.edu.au/philosophy>