[SydPhil] Linda Martin Alcoff on "The Future of Whiteness"

Nikolas Kompridis Nikolas.Kompridis at acu.edu.au
Mon Aug 17 12:06:09 AEST 2015

"The Future of Whiteness"

Prof. Linda Alcoff

Abstract: Is racism constitutive of white identity? If we imagine this to be the case, does it eclipse the scope of future transformations of white identity, making any positive transformation literally unimaginable? What are the future possibilities for white identity? This is not just an effort at prediction, as if whiteness is some natural phenomena we can only observe from a distance. Whiteness is an identity born of both history and current practices, so the question of the future is a question about what we should do now. In this talk I offer a general account of what social identities are and then, what whiteness is now, in order to understand the limits and obstacles to revisioning or refashioning whiteness

Linda Martín Alcoff is Professor of Philosophy at Hunter College and the CUNY Graduate Center, and Professorial Fellow at the Institute for Social Justice, Australian Catholic University, North Sydney. She is the author of Visible Identities: Race, Gender and the Self (Oxford 2006), Real Knowing: New Versions of the Coherence Theory (Cornell 1996); and she has edited ten, including Feminist Epistemologies co-edited with Elizabeth Potter (Routledge, 1993); Thinking From the Underside of History co-edited with Eduardo Mendieta (Rowman & Littlefield, 2000); Epistemology: The Big Questions (Blackwell, 1998); Identities co-edited with Eduardo Mendieta (Blackwell, 2002); Singing in the Fire: Tales of Women in Philosophy (Rowman and Littlefield 2003); The Blackwell Guide to Feminist Philosophy co-edited with Eva Feder Kittay (Blackwell 2006); Identity Politics Reconsidered co-edited with Michael Hames-Garcia, Satya Mohanty and Paula Moya (Palgrave, 2006); Constructing the Nation: A Race and Nationalism Reader co-edited with Mariana Ortega (SUNY 2009); Saint Paul among the Philosophers co-edited with Jack Caputo (Indiana, 2009); Feminism, Sexuality, and the Return of Religion co-edited with Jack Caputo (Indiana 2011).