[SydPhil] UOW Philosophy Seminar: Prof. Daniel Stoljar (ANU) "Evans on Transparency: A Rationalist Approach"

michael kirchhoff michael.david.kirchhoff at gmail.com
Wed May 13 09:40:25 AEST 2015

UOW Philosophy Seminar Series, Autumn 2015. All are welcome!

*Speaker*: Prof. Daniel Stoljar (ANU)

*Title*: Evans on Transparency: A Rationalist Approach

*Abstract*: Gareth Evans famously observed that he can answer the question
‘Do you think there is going to be a third world war?’ by attending to
“precisely the same outward phenomena as I would attend to if I were
answering the question ‘Will there be a third world war?’” (1982, p. 225).
I argue that this observation follows from two independently plausible
theses: first, the thesis that to be rational is in part to abide by an
introspection principle (as I call it) that requires you to believe you are
in a conscious state if you are in one, at least in certain circumstances;
second, the thesis that a belief state is conscious in the relevant sense
if one attends in a particular way to the content of that belief. I also
argue that this suggestion is superior to others that have been made in the
literature regarding Evan’s observation.

*When:* Wednesday 20 May

*Time:* 2:30 – 5:00pm

*Where:* Research Hub 19.2072B

*Contact:* Michael Kirchhoff (kirchhof at uow.edu.au)

There will be a student seminar from 2:30 – 3.15pm, also in the Research

Hub. A coffee break from 3:15-3.30, and the Department Seminar is from
3.30-5.00.

Best,

*Dr. Michael D. Kirchhoff *
Lecturer in Philosophy