[SydPhil] UOW Philosophy Seminar: Dr. Louise Richardson-Self (University of Wollongong)

michael kirchhoff michael.david.kirchhoff at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 09:18:28 AEST 2015

UOW Philosophy Seminar Series, Autumn 2015. All are welcome!

*Speaker*: Dr. Louise Richardson-Self (University of Wollongong)

*Title*: The Imaginary: Concept and Method

*Abstract*: The notion of the ‘imaginary’ arises, often in passing, in
various ethical, feminist, and political texts. My first aim is to trace
and analyse this notion of the imaginary, picking out key differences and
similarities in its figurations. My second aim is to advance a unified
conception of the imaginary which doubles as a framework for the analysis
of issues of ethical and political significance. The hypothesis guiding my
research is that conceptual analysis through the lens of the imaginary can
provide a robust account of issues of social significance by paying special
attention to the context of the ‘worlds’ in which certain events occur.
This paper signals the beginning of my investigation, exploring to what
extent the imaginary is both conceptually illuminating and methodologically

*When:* Wednesday 6 May

*Time:* 2:30 – 5:00pm

*Where:* Research Hub 19.2072B

*Contact:* Michael Kirchhoff (kirchhof at uow.edu.au)

There will be a student seminar from 2:30 – 3.15pm, also in the Research

Hub. A coffee break from 3:15-3.30, and the Department Seminar is from
3.30-5.00.

Best,

*Dr. Michael D. Kirchhoff *
Lecturer in Philosophy