[SydPhil] Macquarie University Philosophy Work in Progress Seminar Series: Colin Klein

Rachael Brown rachael.brown at mq.edu.au
Thu Apr 16 11:18:09 AEST 2015

Please note the following upcoming event as part of the Macquarie
University Philosophy Work in Progress Seminar Series

Processes and capacities in the study of cognitive control

Colin Klein (Macquarie University)

Tuesday 21st April, 1-2pm

W3A Rm 501 (Blackshield Room)

Cognition can be viewed as either a collection of ongoing processes or as a
set of contextually triggered capacities. There is a metaphysical
equivalence between the two, and many authors use the terms
interchangeably. I argue, though, that focus on either processes or
capacities introduces important methodological biases. I illustrate the
point through a discussion of the diversity of models of cognitive control
in humans.

Feel free to bring your lunch.

Contact: Rachael Brown (rachael.brown at mq.edu.au), Paul Formosa (
paul.formosa at mq.edu.au), Mike Olson (michael.olson at mq.edu.au)

A google calendar with details of other events in this series is available
for viewing and subscription by following this link:
http://tinyurl.com/k85h2dl

Other upcoming talks in this series:

April 28th: Wendy Rogers (Macquarie)

May 5th: Andrew Dunstall (Macquarie)

May 12th: Michael Olsen (Macquarie)

May 17th: Jean-Philippe Deranty (Macquarie)