[SydPhil] Reminder: Thursday 23rd May: Amelia Groom on Time in Photography

Matthew Farr matt.farr at sydney.edu.au
Wed May 22 14:39:17 AEST 2013

We have a bonus Foundations of Physics seminar tomorrow, on the relationship between philosophy of time and photography. Details as follows:

Speaker: Amelia Groom (Sydney)
Title: Still Moving: Duration and the Instant in Photography.

Abstract: Photographs are often read as slices into continuity that isolate an instant from the flow of time. Drawing examples from contemporary art, nineteenth century photography, and proto-photos that predate the invention of the camera, this paper considers examples where duration is inscribed in the photographic image. Rather than suspending transience, the images I look to straddle object and process, simultaneity and sequence, dynamism and stasis. The research forms part of a broader investigation of non-teleological time in art, for my doctoral dissertation in art history.

Time: Thursday 23rd May, 11:30-13:00
Location: Philosophy Common Room, Main Quad - A14, University of Sydney.

Everyone is welcome!

A list of future SydFoP seminars is available here: http://newagendasstudyoftime.wordpress.com/events/

If you'd like to give a seminar, or know of any future visitors who would like to give a seminar, please contact me at matt.farr at sydney.edu.au<mailto:matt.farr at sydney.edu.au>.

All the best
Matt
DR MATT FARR | Postdoctoral Research Fellow
New Agendas for the Study of Time<http://newagendasstudyoftime.wordpress.com/> | Centre for Time
School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry | Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences

UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Room N494 | Quadrangle A14
University of Sydney | NSW | 2006

T +61 2 9114 0633<tel:%2B61%202%209114%200633> | F +61 2 9351 3918<tel:%2B61%202%209351%203918>
E matt.farr at sydney.edu.au<mailto:matt.farr at sydney.edu.au>
W mattfarr.co.uk<http://mattfarr.co.uk/>