[SydPhil] CAVE Seminar on the Milgram experiments

Richard Menary richard.menary at mq.edu.au
Mon Apr 22 15:49:05 AEST 2013

CAVE Seminar: Friday 3rd May 2013

Professor Kathryn Millard

(Media, Music, Communication and Cultural Studies, Macquarie University)

will speak on

Revisioning Obedience:

Stanley Milgram's laboratory drama

1 to 3 pm

Building W6A room 708, Macquarie campus

Stanley Milgram's documentary Obedience (1965) is widely understood as the scientific record of a social psychology experiment. Yet it presents audio-visual footage of only one set of conditions out of the more than 30 used in Milgram’s experiments. Far from blindly obeying authority, in some conditions up to 90% of participants disobeyed. Drawing on extensive archival research, this presentation looks behind the scenes at Milgram's obedience studies and film. Were they science? Or theatre? Milgram claimed his studies as evidence that most of us do as we're told. But do we?

About Kathryn Millard:

Professor Millard is a writer, filmmaker and academic. In 2012, she was Visiting Fellow in Film Studies at Yale University. Kathryn's most recent film Random 8 (2012) dramatised sociologist Bill Gamson's 'Encounters with Unjust Authorities' experiment which challenged Stanley Milgram's findings.

Contact:

Dr Paul Taylor
Projects Co-ordinator
Macquarie University Research Centre for Agency, Values and Ethics
Philosophy Department
Macquarie University
Sydney, NSW 2109, Australia
Phone: (02)98506774