[SydPhil] Structure in Chemistry and Biology Workshop

Debbie Castle debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au
Tue Dec 4 09:45:47 AEDT 2012

Dear All
Here is the final program for the Structure in Chemistry and Biology Workshop to be held this Friday 7th December in New Law Annex 346 , Camperdown Campus University of Sydney.
10.30 - 10.50

COFFEE/TEA

10.50-11.00

Welcome Alan Chalmers , History and Philosophy of Science, University of Sydney

11.00-11.30

The Philosophy of Structure: Some Introductory Thoughts. Robin Hendry, Philosophy, University of Durham

11.30 -12.40

 Crystallography; order in 'disorder' and structure: What we know, what we don't know and what we (sometimes wrongly) assume.
Ray Withers, Chemistry, ANU Discussant: Cameron Kepert, Chemistry, University of Sydney

12.40-1.40

LUNCH

1.40- 2.50

Molecular Structure and the Covalent Bond. Robin Hendry, Philosophy, University of Durham
Discussant: George Bacskay, Chemistry, University of Sydney

2.50- 4.00

Structural biology: emerging understanding of molecular structure.Time scales & length scales. Paul Curmi, Physics, UNSW
Discussant: Maureen O'Malley, Philosophy University of Sydney

4.00- 4.20

COFFEE/TEA

4.20-5.30

Structure of Liquids and the Nagging Problem of Glassy Solids. Peter Harrowell, Chemistry, University of Sydney
Discussant: Tony Hudson, Chemistry, University of Sydney

5.30 - 6.00

Final Thoughts. Alan Chalmers and Robin Hendry

More details available at  www.sydney.edu.au/science/hps/news_events/other_events.shtml<http://www.sydney.edu.au/science/hps/news_events/other_events.shtml>

Registration is free however for catering purposes if attending please contact Alan Chalmers achalmers at mail.usyd.edu.au<mailto:achalmers at mail.usyd.edu.au>  or myself.

Best Regards
Debbie Castle | Administration Officer
Office Hours: 9am - 4.30pm:  Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday
Unit for History and Philosophy of Science
Faculty of Science
THE UNIVERSITY OF SYDNEY
Rm No. 441 Carslaw Building, F07 | The University of Sydney | NSW | 2006
T +61 2 9351 4226
e debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au<mailto:debbie.castle at sydney.edu.au> | W http://sydney.edu.au/hps

CRICOS 00026A
This email plus any attachments to it are confidential. Any unauthorised use is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please delete it and any attachments.
Please think of our environment and only print this e-mail if necessary.