[SydPhil] Philorum. 2012-11(Nov)-20 Tue. Rethinking selfishness. (Madeleine Maine)

John Bentley jlrbentley at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 16 19:17:06 AEDT 2012

I've heard it told that I'm part of the most narcissistic, self-involved,
navel-gazing generations the world has ever seen. Excellent. I truly hope
so, because as far as I'm concerned that means we're moving in the right
direction. Through a series of harrowing personal experiences (an ended
engagement, the disintegration of my faith, getting lost in a supermarket.)
I have come to the conclusion that the path to eudaemonia is paved with
selfish intentions. Selfishness is not the problem. In reality it's the
negative perception of selfishness and our reactionary response to that
negativity that's creating all the drama. We need to reassess selfishness;
the way we think about, the way we talk about it and the way we do it.

Dates: 1st and 3rd Tuesdays of the month. Nights.
18:15 for a 18:30 Start. Finish 21:30
(Feel free to come and go at any point during the night.)

The Members Bar, Floor 1
(Keep winding up to the top of the stairs.)
The Gaelic Club
64 Devonshire Street, Surry Hills
Sydney, Australia
(100 metres from a Central railway station exit.)

Cost: $3 donation. (This goes entirely to the venue).

www.philorum.org

View a google map at http://www.philorum.org/centralNextMeeting.html