[SydPhil] Neo-Pragmatism Conference Annoucement

David Macarthur david.macarthur at sydney.edu.au
Tue Oct 30 09:44:31 AEDT 2012

Conference Title: “Neo-Pragmatism: Truth and Justification”
Co-Sponsored by SHAPE research seminar (Philosophy Department, Sydney University) and Centre for the Study of Mind in Nature (Oslo University)

Organizers:
David Macarthur, Bjorn Ramberg.

Synopsis:
The aim of this conference will be to explore the latest neo-pragmatist approaches in epistemology with a central focus on the debate between Hilary Putnam and Richard Rorty – the two fathers of neo-pragmatism – on the nature of truth and justification and their relationship. Key questions that we will pursue include: What is the most fruitful non-essentialist approach
to truth? Is truth the goal of inquiry? In what sense is truth a norm of inquiry (if at all)? What is the connection between truth and justification if we are to avoid the mistake of identifying the two with each other? What is the relation between justification and a community of inquirers (believers)?

Where and When:
Venue: S421, Main Quad, University of Sydney
Dates: 8:45am–6.30pm, Dec 6–7, 2012

Confirmed Speakers:
Barry Allen (McMaster, Canada)
Ramón Del Castillo (UNED, Spain)
Massimo Dellutri (Sassari, Italy)
Gary Ebbs (Indiana, USA)
Jonathan Knowles (NTNU, Norway)
Nikolas Kompridis (UWS)
Cathy Legg (Waikato, NZ)
David Macarthur (Sydney)
Bjorn Ramberg (Oslo, Norway)
Paul Redding (Sydney)

Talk timetable available on the conference webpage: http://sydney.edu.au/arts/philosophy/research/conferences.shtml

NOTE: No Registration Fee

For further information contact: Dr. David Macarthur
david.macarthur at sydney.edu.au

Dr. David Macarthur
Senior Lecturer
Philosophy Department