[Limdep Nlogit List] LCRPLOGIT with log-normal distribution

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Tue Apr 9 04:02:40 AEST 2019

Dan.  You are correct, NLRP does not support the lognormal model.  In case
it might
serve the same purpose, it does support the one sided triangular, type 'O.'
in the FCN
definition.  I do note, constraining parameters this way, generally doesn't
actually do anything.
For example, for a model in which you use the lognormal distribution, it is
very likely that if
you use the normal instead, you will observe the mean of the distribution
to be more than
3 or 4 standard deviations from zero - that is, the parameter is
essentially nonnegative
anyway.
Regards,
Bill Greene

On Mon, Apr 8, 2019 at 10:03 AM Petrolia, Daniel via Limdep <
limdep at mailman.sydney.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi, my understanding is that log-normal distribution is not available for
> random parameter specifications in the LATENT CLASS RANDOM PARAMETER LOGIT
> (LCRPLOGIT) model of NLOGIT 6 (page N-638 of the NLOGIT 6 manual).
>
> I was interesting in applying the non-negative price coefficient
> constraint recommended in Carson and Czajkowski (JEEM 2019,
> https://protect-au.mimecast.com/s/fGRGCK1qJZtzV9ErcM0uay?domain=doi.org), but I don't think this is
> feasible, at least using NLOGIT, because it requires that the price
> coefficient be specified as log-normally distributed, which is available
> for RPLOGIT but not LCRPLOGIT.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Thanks,
> Dan

> Limdep at mailman.sydney.edu.au

William Greene
Department of Economics
Stern School of Business, New York University
44 West 4 St., 7-90
New York, NY, 10012
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Ph. +1.212.998.0876
Editor in Chief: Journal of Productivity Analysis
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics
Associate Editor: Journal of Choice Modeling