[Limdep Nlogit List] variable types

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Wed May 10 01:32:33 AEST 2017

Dear Charles:  The order in which variables appear in the data editor does
not have any meaning in any context.  For example, if you have variables
x1, x2, x3, x4, the construction x1 - x4 does not have meaning.  As such,
there is means provided to reorder variables because the order already
has no context.  For the categorical variable, you have the right syntax.
The
problem is that the variable hlthsat has some miscoded noninteger values
(between 6 and 7).  If you use CREATE;NewHSAT=Int(hlthsat)$ you should
be able to make the conversion. As for the type of variable, this
information
is not stored with the variable, but you can obtain it by using
DSTAT;Rhs=the variable(s) ; Values $
This will give you some information about the variable, and show you what
is wrong with HLTHSAT.  (This is in Section E2.6.3 in the manual.)
Regards
William Greene

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 10:46 AM, RAUX Charles <Charles.Raux at laet.ish-lyon.
cnrs.fr> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am a newbie and trying to do basic things with data imported from a csv
> file. And I found nothing in various documentations (Limdep Reference
> guide, Econ. Model estimation and Nlogit guide).
>
> - How to reorder variables (for instance change the order of display in
> data editor)?
>
> - How to get information and deal with variable type? Categorical
> variables are mentioned but I see no means to transform a seemingly integer
> variable in a categorical variable. For instance importing "HealthData.csv"
> and trying
>
> |-> CREATE ; Expand(hlthsat) $
>
> Error    711: Variable in EXPAND is not an integer from 1 to 100.
>
> Where can I see the type of "htlthsat" and how to change to integer (or
> categorical?) ?
>
> Regards
>
> Charles Raux

> Limdep at limdep.itls.usyd.edu.au

William Greene
Department of Economics
Stern School of Business, New York University
44 West 4 St., 7-90
New York, NY, 10012
Email: wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Ph. +1.212.998.0876 <(212)%20998-0876>
Editor in Chief: Journal of Productivity Analysis
Editor in Chief: Foundations and Trends in Econometrics
Associate Editor: Economics Letters
Associate Editor: Journal of Business and Economic Statistics
Associate Editor: Journal of Choice Modeling