[Limdep Nlogit List] Random Utility Model

David Hensher david.hensher at sydney.edu.au
Sun Jun 11 19:02:58 AEST 2017

The MNL model is formally derived within the setting of random utility maximisation. This is standard derivation - unobserved influences create RUM cf Deterministic UM.

As regards Mixed logit or random parameter logit, the randomness is associated with the distribution of the parameters across the sample to capture preference heterogeneity.  Random also relates to fact that there is no systematic source to guide location on the distribution of each sampled observation so results are population based and not to a specific individual.

See many sources such as Hensher, Rose and Greene Applied Choice analysis (Cambridge) 2005 and 2015.

Sent from my iPhone
0418 433 057
David A Hensher

Note: do not use hgroup at optusnet.com.au from now on, and instead use