[Limdep Nlogit List] new message to post!

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Wed Sep 22 21:39:10 EST 2010

Trent. You can change the distributions of the random utility functions
in a multinomial choice model to a multivariate normal by
fitting a multinomial probit model. To get something that might
be comparable to an MNL, you would force the off diagonal elements of
the covariance matrix to be zero. You can layer a model on top of
the MNL by using different distributions for random coefficients, usefully
the choice specific constants, by using a mixed logit model and using the
different distributions such as lognormal, uniform, etc. NLOGIT offers several.
I'm not sure the idea of a "link function" is meaningful in the setting of
the multinomial choice models because you are not fitting conditional mean functions
and you are not obtaining the functional form of the probability by connecting
any type of conditional mean function to the distribution of a single
random variable as you are, for example, with a Poisson regression or
a single binary choice. The form of the probability - exp(Vj)/Sum{Exp(Vj)}
results from an assumption that the random parts of the random utility
functions have the type 1 extreme value distribution. If you change that
latter assumption, you lose the form of the probability. The multinomial
probit model, for example, does not really resemble the multinomial
logit model.  Note, finally, it is not clear what would be meant by
"changes the model."  Certainly the coefficients change. But, that must
happen because of scaling of the utility functions, different variances
across utility functions, etc. The individual coefficients in a multinomial
choice model don't have much meaning on their own.  One might examine the
different elasticities, or measures of willingness to pay, or the fitted
probabilities.  But, it will be tricky to characterize succinctly how
these differ from one model to another because they also differ across
observations.
/Bill Greene