[Limdep Nlogit List] V/v: Nlogit without differing attributes

ho quoc Chinh hoqchinh at yahoo.com.vn
Thu Jun 25 10:37:01 EST 2009

Dear Kandice.

It does not matter if you just have explanatory variables which are similar across alternatives. The model normally works as long as your specification is suitable with nest logit theory, that is each nest  must be seen as a MNL model. Then you should set at least one of elemental alternatives (corn, soy, wheat, other) equal to zero; all of the remaining alternatives are specified as normal. In your problem, I think the following specification is reasonable:

Nlogit;
start=logit;
RU1;
model:
U(corn)=asc_c+...../
U(wheat)=asc_w+.../
U(other)=asc_o+....$

It's no need to specify utility function at higher level (branch level, that is U(cs)). The probability of choosing higher level is already concerned in the structure of Nest logit model. What you have to take into consideration is whether or not IV parameter of your tree is larger than 1.0, which is neccessary to satisfy random utility theory.

By the way, I think that you misunderstood the meaning of "normalization" in NL model. It means that we normalize the IV of lower level or upper level to 1.0 instead of setting one of the alternatives in each level to zero as you though.

Best regards,

Chinh.
Nagoya University, Department of Civil Engineering.
Transportation Planning and Engineering lab.

--- Thứ 5, 25/06/09, Kandice L. Kleiber <kleiberk at onid.orst.edu> đã viết: