[Limdep Nlogit List] Nlogit without differing attributes

Kandice L. Kleiber kleiberk at onid.orst.edu
Thu Jun 25 07:26:31 EST 2009

Hi -

I'm trying to set up a nested logit.  My data, however, does not
contain any variables that differ across choices.  My tree = cs (corn,
soy), wheat, other.  The NLogit manual provides examples where some
variables differ across choices, however this set-up doesn't work when
all of the variables have the same value across differing choices.

Is it reasonable to set up the model excluding the choices that I want
to normalize on?  For example, if I set up my model following the
NLogit manual, I would have:
Model:
U(corn)
U(soy)
U(cs)
U(wheat)
U(other)

Since my variables do not vary across choices, can I instead set up
like:
Model:
U(corn)
U(cs)
U(wheat)

Thus normalizing on the lower level with soy, and on the upper level
with other.

Any input is appreciated.  Thank you!
Kandice.

---