[Limdep Nlogit List] dummy coding vs effects coding

Kandice L. Kleiber kleiberk at onid.orst.edu
Thu Jul 23 08:49:17 EST 2009

Hi -

So I have estimated a nested logit model and basically done everything
that I want to do ... except find the marginal effects of my
categorical variables.

One variable in question is education, and I have broken it down into
3 levels, eda, edb, edc, where eda is the lowest level of education.
In running my model I used eda as the base (ie dropped it from the
equations).  I coded each new variable as a 0-1, thus if edb=1 then
eda=edc=0 and if eda=1 then edb=edc=0.

However, the code that I found to run the marginal effects uses
"effects code" ie making eda=-1 instead of =0.  If you use the effects
coding and want to compare edb vs eda you use:

scenario: edb=1/edc=0 & edb=-1/edc=-1$

But since I have already run my model and have all my other results,
I'm wondering if I can still use this code, given that I have used
"dummy coding" (0-1 variables).

If so, can I use:

scenario: edb1/edc=0 & edb=0/edc=0$ ?

I guess I'm not sure if LimDep is doing the same thing that it would
with effects coding?
Any input would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Kandice.