[Limdep Nlogit List] start=logit with NL

Kandice L. Kleiber kleiberk at onid.orst.edu
Fri Jul 10 05:48:41 EST 2009

Dr. Greene -

Thank you for your quick response!

When I run the program (and I adjusted the IVSET command to brackets),
the output still does not show the starting values.  I guess I'm not
clear as to whether or not the program should ALWAYS show starting
values (when running a nested logit model)?  I get slightly different
results when I put start=logit than when I do not.  I guess to be on
the safe side, I should always include the start command?

Also when I use the command RU2, the reported IV parameter, μ, is
greater than 1 (which makes sense because then the *real* IV parameter
is (1/μ) since λ=1 and then (λ/μ)<1).  But when I use RU1 with
IVSET: (wh,ot)=[1.0], I should receive a reported IV parameter, λ,
with λ<1  (since μ=1 and assuming I change nothing else) ...
correct?  However I keep receiving values >1 with RU1.

I guess I'm not sure what is happening, since they should just be
inverses of one another?  Any ideas?

Thanks again -
Kandice.

On Jul 9, 2009, at 12:19 PM, William Greene wrote:

> Kandice: Whether an MNL starting value is computed is independent
> of the setting of RU1 vs. RU2. (At least it is according to the
> internal program code.) You should not have to add ;Start=Logit
> to the command. However, that will do no harm; the program should
> always compute the initial MNL model. There is no other place to
> get starting values. I can't say I can come up with a reason why
> the MNL results were not reported.  On your ;IVSET instruction,
> you should use IVSET:(...)=[1] to force the value to equal one. I.e,
> include it in square brackets. Otherwise it is just a starting value.
> The program reports mu, not 1/mu.
> /Bill Greene

---
e: kleiberk at onid.orst.edu