[Limdep Nlogit List] Generating Orthogonal Experiment

John Rose J.Rose at itls.usyd.edu.au
Tue Feb 24 13:21:15 EST 2009

Dear Anat

Your requirement for an orthogonal design should depend upon the type of model you are after. If you are estimating a regression model, then the variance covariance matrix is sigma^2(X'X)-1 where X is your design. An orthogonal design will generally minimise this matrix and hence minimise the standard errors (maximise your t-ratios) and produce zero covariances. If you are estimating a discrete choice model however, the VC matrix is NOT sigma^2(X'X)-1, and you will not minimise the standard errors (maximise your t-ratios) or produce zero covariances using an orthogonal design, unless there are a special set of circumstances that exist.

Basically, the reason people use orthogonal designs is because they want to obtain independent estimates (zero covariances). If you are using an orthogonal design for DCMs (logits and probits), then you will only get zero covariances if all the parameters are zero. The minute the parameters are not zero, then you will get non-zero covariances. This is because the formulas for the VC matrix of DCM are not those of linear regression models. They actually have probabilities in them, and only if the parameters are zero (and hence the probabilities all go to 1/J) will the covariances go to zero. Thus, talk of main effects and interaction effects designs for DCMs is really meaningless, as the designs ability to get independent main effects and interaction effects (zero covariances) depends upon the parameter estimates (which influence the probabilities). This terminology has meaning only for linear models (which historically is where all the experimental design literature came from - ANOVA to be precise which is simply nothing more than a regression model). There is a huge literature now on this exact issue (mainly in marketing but also in other areas).

There are other software available to do orthogonal designs beyond SAS as well as well as software that is specifically designed to construct designs for DCMs. I am happy to discuss these with you outside of the Limdep list if you wish to contact me (johnr at itls.usyd.edu.au).

John