[Limdep Nlogit List] demand function

Alessandro Corsi alessandro.corsi at unito.it
Tue Apr 21 01:32:38 EST 2009

Philo,
I'm rather skeptical on the possibility to estimate a demand function from a
choice experiment. The experiment typically analyses choices between
discrete alternatives and choices must be mutually exclusive, exhaustive and
in a finite number (Train, 2003). Since quantity and price are functionally
linked, you might consider each quantity/price as a choice, but it seems to
me that this is only possible if the good is discrete and there is a finite
number of price-quantity alternatives. I elaborated on this issue in an
article (European Review of Agricultural Economics, 34(4), 2007: 501-515 -
bear with me for the self-citation). I would be glad if someone finds a
solution to this problem, but as to now I'm not aware of any solution.

Alessandro

Alessandro Corsi
Dip. di Economia "S. Cognetti de Martiis"
Via Po, 53
10124 Torino (Italy)
Tel. +390116704409
Fax +390112364409