[Limdep Nlogit List] determining elasticities for transformed variables

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Fri Jul 25 20:51:44 EST 2008

Brett (and all). Unfortunately, there is no way that the program can know
that a variable X that appears in the utility function is, itself, a function
of underlying variables, z1, z2, .... It is impossible to anticipate what
functions are there; it could be anything.  So, there is no immediate solution
to how to obtain an elasticity with respect to zj as opposed to X other than
doing it the hard way. (You might look at a recent Economics Letters paper by
Norton and Ai that is gaining some currency and relates to this issue, albeit
in simpler settings.)
  If anyone has a suggestion for some reasonable way that this might be automated
we are of course open to new ideas.
   By the way, the sign on dVi/dCi in the results below should be negative.
Bill Greene