[Limdep Nlogit List] panel data model

William Greene wgreene at stern.nyu.edu
Sat Aug 16 03:37:34 EST 2008

Phil. As you note, you can indeed just create the 11 dummy variables
and fit a fixed effects model, which is what I would do if these were
my data.  For a random effects model, your problem is this: In order
to compute the log likelihood for the random effects model, it is
necessary to compute the product of the probabilities before taking the
logs - the log-L is not the sum of the logs; it is the log of a sum of
the products.  So, you are looking at computing the product of 2,000
probabilities.  If probabilities are on the order of .5, then you are
trying to compute .5 to the 2000 power., which will either (1) be pure
rounding error when you are done or, far more likely, (2) cause an
underflow and crash the program.  LIMDEP is very averse to (2), so it
will not let you try.  A few hundred observations per group is as far
as it will let you go.  (Oddly enough, I received the same question,
though about a Poisson model, only a couple days ago. My answer was the
same.)
Bill Greene